On Holiday Hair + Fishtail Milkmaid Braids Tutorial

how-to-fishtail-milkmaid-braids-crownThis post is sponsored by Mirum Shopper.  Opinions and fun fishtail milkmaid braids hair tutorial are all my own. Thanks for reading!

We’re one full week into December and are super excited to attend the first of many holiday parties this evening.  I think the entire family is feeling the distinct spirit that comes along during this special season.

I’m trying to consciously not get caught up in the busyness of it all – and just focus on the fun of spending loads of time with people we adore.  I also certainly welcome reasons to get out of the work-from-home beauty rut and get dressed up for the festivities to come.  There’s absolutely something to be said about feeling your best on the inside when you practice self-care on the outside too.

While I’ve depended on those loose curl blowouts for nearly every special event – a fun beauty quiz on CVS.com made me realize that it’s due time to up my hair game; suggesting that I give my outfit a pop by achieving shiny hair status with recommended productions to use along the way.

suave-cvs-flatlay

Winter always has a way of wreaking havoc on my hair, and I’ve been trying to combat the overall dryness caused by heat tools and the change in temperature.  I’m replenishing my locks and preventing damage with products from Suave and TRESemmé® BOTANIQUE collection. I’ve also been experimenting with fun styles like these fishtail milkmaid braids – that also offer my hair a bit of respite since this lovely look is achieved without heating tools.

hair-products-flat-lay

If you’d like to rock this quick, easy, and perfect-for-the-holidays ‘do – just follow the straightforward steps below.  Make sure that you have two little elastics, plenty of bobby pins and TRESemmé® TWO Extra Hold Hair Spray.  In addition to taming fly-aways and holding holiday styles in place, the hair spray is also a hero at locking in curls!

fishtail-milkmaid-braid-crown-hair-tutorial-how-to

1. Divide your hair into two equal sections.  A middle part works best for this look because your braids will have similar thicknesses.

2. Fishtail braid each section and secure with a small elastic.  I think fishtails look best when weaving with tiny sections of hair to really define the braid pattern. I also recommend pulling out small sections of hair before braiding – to keep the look chic (and not Little House on the Prairieish!!!).

3.  Here’s the trick to making the braids look great.  Starting from the top of the braid carefully pull each braid apart to give the braids a fuller and naturally messy look.

4. Experiment with placement by wrapping the braids around your head.  I like my braids very close to my hairline for a lovely braided crown look.

5.  Position the first braid across your head and secure in place with bobby pins.

6.  Wrap the second braid across your head (I like to place it in the back of the first braid) and secure with bobby pins while making sure to tuck in the little elastics and ends.  Spray with TRESemmé® TWO Extra Hold Hair Spray to help tame fly-aways while holding the look in place.

Have fun – you’re set to party!

Want in on the savings on some great, affordable, hair care products that are currently in my beauty arsenal?  CVS is currently running the following deals:

cvs-extrabucks-rewards-savings-haircare-tresemme-suave-dove

$5 ExtraBucks® rewards when you spend $15 on participating TRESemmé®, Suave® or Dove Hair Care products.

Additionals Offers Valid 12/4-12/10
2/$6 WITH CARD Select Suave® hair care.
2/$8 WITH CARD Select TRESemmé® or Dove Shampoo Conditioner and Stylers.
2/$10 WITH CARD Select TRESemmé® Premium or Dove Advanced Hair Series haircare.
*Offer Valid WITH CARD 12/4/16 – 12/10/16. ExtraBucks® Rewards offer limit of 1 per household with card.

Additional Offers:
Valid 12/4 – 12/10
2/$6 WITH CARD Select Suave® Hair Care.
2/$8 WITH CARD Dove Base Hair Care or TRESemmé® shampoo, conditioner (28–32 oz.) or select stylers.
2/$10 WITH CARD Select TRESemmé® Premium or Dove Advanced Hair Series haircare.
Valid 12/11 – 12/17
2/$8 WITH CARD Select TRESemmé® shampoo, conditioner 28-32 oz., or select stylers-
2/$10 WITH CARD Select TRESemmé® Premium Hair Care products.

Valid 12/18 – 12/24
Buy 1, Get 1 50% OFF WITH CARD Select Suave® Hair Care products.
Valid 12/25 – 12/31
2/$10 WITH CARD Select TRESemmé® Premium or Dove Advanced Hair Series haircare.

Looking for more hair inspiration?  Learn what hairstyle you should try this Holiday season by taking this quiz on CVS.com/YourStyleYourWay.

Wishing you all the best of the season!

Comments

1. That is so cool! Thanks for sharing this tutorial. I’ve been wanting to do this, but I had no idea how.

2. I like the tutorial but I LOVE the savings you gave us the heads up on. I’m all about the savings! Thanks for both.

3. Catherine Sargent says

Thanks for the great tutorial. I would like to try the Suave and TRESemmé BOTANIQUE collection.

4. Christine H says

This looks so much easier than I thought it was! Thanks!

5. You’re so good at that! I fail at braids in general haha

6. You are adorable! Now if only I had the length of hair to try this on my own head, because you know I would! And I love Suave hair products!

7. Senna Kory says

This is a gorgeous look! I honestly have always admired people who can braid so intricately.

8. That is such a cool hairstyle, I can’t wait to give it a try. Also why don’t I have the CVS saving card.. it sounds amazing!

9. This is a cute holiday hairstyle. My hair isn’t long enough for it, but I am keeping it in mind for the future.

10. What a cute holiday look! My hair is always boring, but this would be an awesome way to dress it up for a holiday gathering! Great tutorial!

11. Our Family World says

Thank you for sharing this tutorial. I love to learn different ways to braid hair and I will keep this in mind.

12. Love this cute hairstyle! Your tutorial is easy to easy to follow! Thank you for sharing!

13. I had no idea CVS offered this awesomeness on their website. I have long hair and always looking for fun ways to change up my do.

14. I am always looking for a new hair do, especially when i have a little party to attend. I am headed to CVS.com to get started on this adorable fishtail braid.

15. That’s super cute. I’m going to have to try it out on my daughter soon.

16. I am SO awful at doing my hair, so this looks like something I could try but I’m not sure if would work hha. I would love to try though, fishtail looks a bit too hard for me!

17. molli taylor says

thank you! m y hair is long enough for cool things again and i have like, zero inspiration!

18. Thanks for the idea!! Your hair looks great! I can’t do that because I’m disabled. Thanks for your Suave and Tresseme recommendations. I think I need a new shampoo and conditioner. kristiedonelson(at)gmail(dot)com Thank you. Merry Christmas!

19. I love this! Your braids are so cute!!

20. Megan Elise Filzen says

It is gorgeous but I doubt I could do it myself

21. Oh, this looks adorable on you! I may practice it on my daughter to make sure I can get it perfect!

22. Emily Endrizzi says

This style looks awesome on you! My hair is much too fine and fly away for staying in braids. There is just no way, unless maybe I didn’t wash it first for a few days. Lol.

23. Christina A. says

I love that! May just give that a try on my hair!

24. Betsy Barnes says

I love this look! These deals at CVS are awesome too!! Great savings!

25. I love the braided look! Am always looking for a new style for parties, Thanks for the instructions and savings on the products at CVS!

26. This is a lovely look! I can’t wait until my hair grows long enough for me to try it.

27. Crystal Gregg says

Your hair is beautiful! Great tutorial!

28. Kayte CookWatts says

Beautiful hair and your makeup is also really great. Just a beautiful look overall!

29. Reesa Lewandowski says

Hmmmm maybe, just maybe with this tutorial I can make this work. I like your tip!

30. Thanks for sharing this tutorial. That is so cool!

31. Sarah Arellano says

Super cute! and you make it look so easy!

32. This looks really good. I have super curly hair so I cant pull off a fishtail until I straighten it!

33. I absolutely love this tutorial and your hair looks incredible! You are so tempting me to try this!