Thank you Huggies Little Snugglers and Latina Bloggers Connect for sponsoring this post. Content and opinions, as always, are my own.
There is nothing quite like gifting homemade, and these simple DIY Tie T-shirts have continued to be a huge hit among recipients! Follow my below tutorial to whip-up a few for the special little guys in your life. Sewing machine optional!
I’ve been making these fun shirts ever since my little guy was a wee one. The process is straightforward and easy:
- Draw a pattern: I like to use two different patterns. One for baby onsies and another for toddler sizes up. I believe that the trick to making the bigger sized tie is to create two separate patten pieces for a snazzy look.
- Select fun fabric: Great fabric is an absolute must. The above selections are from JoAnne Fabric, Spoonflower and Minted.
- Gather supplies: Necessary supplies include an iron, ironing board, rotary cutter or scissors, material, solid t-shirts or onesies, tie-patten and a package of Heat and Bond. If you choose to not use a sewing machine purchase the ultra hold Heat & Bond in the red package. If you stitch the border with a sewing machine like I do – you may want to go with a lighter-weight option.
- Apply Heat and Bond and Align Pattern On Fabric: Follow the instructions on the Heat & Bond packaging – ironing the Heat & Bond to the wrong side of your material. Flip it over and align your pattern pieces on the material.
- Cut out your pattern pieces: After carefully aligning your pattern pieces on the material, cut them out with a rotary cutter or scissors.
- Peel the back of the heat and bond off of the material.
- Align your tie pieces on the shirt: Carefully align your tie pieces on the shirt. I like to have the top piece slightly overlap the bottom tie piece.
- Iron your pieces to the shirt: Follow the instructions on the back of the Heat and Bond for iron settings. If you’re not sewing – than you are done!
- Sew around the borders: I like to use a wide zig-stitch in a contrasting thread color.
- Admire your work!
In addition to creating some homemade goodness, it’s always thoughtful to gift essentials. I just put together a Christmas package for a dear friend who happens to be a newly minted mother-of-three boys (under three!). She’s often bemoaned the fact that diapers and wipes feel like a constant purchase so we’re also sending some of our favorites from Huggies to help get the kiddos through the Holiday Season. I tucked in a little “diapers and wipes” gift tag along with the trio of shirts to let her know that Huggies Natural Care Wipes and Little Snugglers Diapers will soon be on their way. Request a sample of Huggies Little Snugglers Diapers with a fantastic GentleAbsorb Liner – and Huggies fragrance free, alcohol-free and hypoallergenic, Natural Care Wipes. Also enter to win your dream registry via Huggies Little Snugglers Registry Relief.
Cheers to a beautiful Holiday and making great things!