On Small Wins and Fostering Confidence in Kids

With a little flashlight clutched in his hand, I catch my six-year-old staying up past his bedtime, sounding out words in a book that is far beyond his reading level.  The same scenario plays out nearly every single night.  He wants more than anything to master the first book in a popular series that his big sister devoured.  While I so admire his determination, I recognize his increasing frustration  – and am reminded of the importance of age-appropriateness during these crucial years where independence and everyday wins help to shape confidence.

LEGO-Juniors

We’re coming off of a much needed slow and lovely weekend.  The kids stayed in their PJs for a good portion of the morning, and I surprised the boy with early holiday gifts from our friends at LEGO Juniors, specifically designed to set younger kids (ages 4-7) up for success, with fun building sets that are perfectly matched to the building skills of their age and stage.

LEGO-Juniors

“LOOK WHAT I MADE!!” my little-guy gushed while leaping off an art table chair onto the hardwood floor to drive his LEGO Juniors Police Helicopter Chase set across the wooden panels.  Miraculously, it survived the commotion in one piece, and his confidence soared while flipping open the front of the chopper – to act out his “guy” containing the robber while saving all the money for the “good people.”  I couldn’t believe how fast the set came together and appreciated the intuitive design that allowed my six-year-old to give it a go right out of the box – with a fun, pre-made piece to encourage the building process.

lego-juniors-police-helicopter

The excitement continued the following morning with the LEGO Juniors Family House Set.  This bigger set came with separately numbered bags filled with pieces, allowing my little guy to find the right bricks for specific areas.

lego-juniors-house

I adored staring at his sweet concentration face while the house was constructed with the ideal synergy of age-appropriate challenges and creative play.  And if your child is anything like mine – they’ll be thrilled with this set’s inclusion of a toilet bowl!

lego-juniors-house-building-set

In childhood, it’s not the big milestones (like riding a bike for the first time, or scoring a goal) that solely build earned confidence and self-worth; it’s the everyday simple wins that help to foster perseverance, resilience, and the never-give-up-spirit that murmurs over and over again ” I can do it”.

I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.

Comments

1. Lisa Brown says

yes, the acknowledgement that a child did well in something is far more beneficial to them; I remember my silly drawing as a child, always received warm appraise for them and those time are the most memorable and self-esteem building.

2. christina purvis says

We love legos! I don’t mind that there are small pieces because I see how much my daughter loves to play and build with them. She will spend a good hour or two creating and showing off her buildings…and she is only 5. I love the confidence it gives her. Also, i am able to help her gain strength in following multiple step directions.

3. Katrina Blevins says

Children love to be praised. In my opinion its one of the best things you can do for your kids.

4. I think many people underestimate the value of “small” accomplishments. I have often thought about that in my own life as an adult sometimes when huge disappointments came by me that shook my confidence, I found confidence in my hobbies like being able to sew. These confidences you can gain as a child can stay with you throughout your life. Everyone likes the big brags, but quiet unassuming accomplishments can be as rewarding.

5. Dana Rodriguez says

Great post! I think it is so important to praise children to build confidence.!

6. Sarah Hayes says

that lego set in the last picture is amazing! I know my LO would love it. I love watching her play with blocks bc it teaches her so much

7. Margaret Smith says

Just letting kids use their imaginations I believe help them build confidence. Lego’s is such a fun toy and it really helps kids use their imaginations.

8. I love legos and I love this reminder that it isn’t necessarily the big things that make a difference in our children it’s the very day little things that we do. It’s easy to get lost in the mundane when really the mundane might be what our child remembers the most and definitely what is shaping them. Thanks!

9. Crystal Rogers Walker says

I am so happy that Lego’s have things for the little ones, the regular Legos are just too hard and very hard for little ones hands, I will get these for my Grandkids

10. Letting the little ones find their own way through some of life’s daily trials is always a great confidence builder and will always help their self esteem and their ability to be more independent as they grow older,knowing that the family is there to lend a helping hand and encouragement.

11. Terry Poage says

I think it is so important to praise children to build confidence.! What a great reminder.

12. Making age appropriate toys, books, and other materials available to them lets children try new things and develop new skills. Thus they gain confidence in themselves, what they know, and what they can do.

13. belinda bell says

My kids always love playing with legos. And I like that they use their imagations when building with them.

14. It is so important to start helping them when they’re young!

15. Amanda Saltsman says

I wish more parents would take the time to give their children the attention and praise they need.

16. Terry Stevens says

The small accomplishments in life are what help those strive to their goals. I love that your son wanted to master the book he was reading. I have always fostered a great love of books and buy them for any of my children as well as grandchildren to keep them to continue to read as for some it is becoming a lost art.

17. Michael Jacoby says

Great information-Thank you!

18. I agree that choosing activities that are both challenging and age appropriate is important. It’s tempting to purchase toys that kids will grow into, but often they are just frustrating and kids will lose interest before they are ready for them.

19. Good advice!

20. Legos are fantastic…until you accidentally step on them. Seriously, they are a great toy. I just wish they didn’t cost so much.

21. Michelle J. says

We love Legos at our house. I love how the kids create!

22. Laurie Nykaza says

I love seeing the kids do things that boost their confidence . They love building with Lego’s always so excited when the project is finished with what they have built.

23. I think confidence in kids is gained by their mastering small tasks and becoming more independent.

24. I love legos as much as my kids do. We like to see what we can make them. At one point they had an entire city built.

25. Holly Thomas says

Legos are great, they really do help children with their creativity.

26. Gotta love a toy that also fosters creativity.

27. My favorite on this list is the black and pink water boots

28. I love the vast amount of recommendations on this list.

29. Christy Peeples DuBois says

I was so guilty of purchasing items that my first born was not ready for but I did learn from the first couple of purchases. Thankfully she wasn’t one to feel frustrated and she didn’t realize it was a little more advanced than her age level. However that would not have been the case for my youngest daughter. I am thankful I learned from my mistake because building confidence in children is so important.

30. It’s very important to encourage and praise children. It works wonders in my opinion.

31. Legos help to encourage creativity and for children to use their imagination

32. It is very important to push kids to be independant!

33. David Smith says

My son loved LEGO’s when he was younger and we still have several of his larger and more expensive kits. I had many LEGO’s when I was a kid, but they were no where near as detailed and interesting as the ones they make now.

34. It is so so refreshing to see ‘girly’ legos. I always wanted to play with legos but they were never tailored to my interests.

35. I love the perseverance of your child but I love more that you are encouraging him to be a child~

36. Stephanie Phelps says

I agree making the child feel successful is so important and using their imaginations on top of and yes my boys would love that it came with a toilet!

37. Cassie Eastman says

I love this! It´s so important to remember to keep toys age appropriate, because if they get frustrated they may just give up and want to quit.

38. Yes! ‘You can do it’ is such encouragement for the little ones – for anyone really!

39. LEGOs are so much fun and they teach important lessons.

40. Dominique Cloutier says

I am real big on letting my kids struggle through their own little wins every day. something as simple as zipping up a jacket or learning to figure out how to build a new toy, I’m the type who lets them figure it out on their own, not trying to make sure their life is as easy as possible, i want them to be ready for the real world and learn how to overcome problems on their own

41. Monica, my son is the same! He’s 5 1/2 and is trying desperately to read. I think it’s adorable, and of course I love that he wants to read instead of playing on any electronic!! As for the legos, we have these, and the kids love them! Every year that’s a constant on their Christmas wish lists!

42. Tracie Cooper says

Praise is such an important role in the development of young child and its wonderful that Legos is making toys with this in mind.

43. Geri Sandoval says

Great post! Encouraging a child is so important. It starts when they are little and continues all their lives. I always tell my kids and grandkids reach for the stars in whatever you you doing.

44. I love how creative anyone can be with legos.

45. These are great! I am a big fan of my LEGO architecture book and feel like a basic block set + the book would also be perfect for this age group.

46. Good advice

47. Kelley Roach says

Great post! I think it is so important to praise children to build confidence.!