Why We’re Obsessed With Disney’s First Latina Princess: Elena Of Avalor

Giving young Disney fans the ability to see themselves in the media that they love is always a positive thing, and we’re thrilled that Disney has officially introduced their first Latina Princess; Princess Elena of Avalor.

Princess-Elena-Of-Avalor-Disney's-First-Latina-Princess-Hispanic

Image via Disney Chanel.

Inspired by diverse Latina culture, this 16-year-old princess is strong, resilient, bold and funny; embodying the sort of princesa that I’m happy to have my eight-year-old daughter look up too.  I had the chance to learn all about her at the Disney SMMC conference and how her strong traits are perfectly aligned with Disney’s new Dream Big Princess campaign.  With her own books, animated TV series, and doll; Princess Elena of Avalor will also hold court at Walt Disney World Resort this August and at Disneyland Resort this fall.  We’re thrilled for all the young Disney fans who will now be able to see themselves as relevant, important and special – through the creation of Princess Elena.  What a great addition to Disney’s multicultural line-up of heroines!  Find out more about why we love Princess Elena and all that she stands for over on MODE.

This post is sponsored by MODE.

Comments

1. I love this so much! I think it’s way past time that Disney has represented all the latinas out there.

2. How cool to have a Latina Disney princess! I can’t wait to show the girl I babysit. She’ll be so happy to see a princess that looks like her.

3. I love that she’s had her dresses designed by a Project Runway girl – that makes it so official!

4. Catherine Sargent says

I think this is so great. My little niece will be so excited when she gets to see the new princess. I am sure she will want the doll.

5. Robin Masshole Mommy says

I love that they finally have a Latina princess. I love that pretty dress that Elena is wearing!

6. I think it is awesome that Disney is starting to diversify much more these past few years. I think it really helps when little girls/boys and parents have a character which they can relate to.

7. It is really neat all of the princesses Disney rolls out with … this one sound enchanting!

8. What a neat new princess, she sounds like she will make a great addition to the Disney Princess’ family!

9. Princess Elena of Avalor seems great! I’d love to learn more about her. It will be great seeing her new series.

10. I cant wait to show this to my niece she loves all the Disney Princess’s!

11. I was introduced to Princess Elena, and I just love her! The idea that girls can be strong and defenders of good is a great message.

12. Nicole Escat says

I never heard of Elena of Avalor, sounds interesting. I want to see more of her!!

13. Ryan Escat says

I like this new Disney princess, she sounds funny. I like her more than the traditional princesses.

14. Amy Desrosiers says

I love how diverse Disney is becoming! I can’t wait to find out more about her too!

15. Hooray! A Latina princess is long overdue and I look forward to getting to know Princess Elena.

16. Well, its about time they had a Latina Princess! I cannot wait to see this story line and where it takes Elena.

17. You have no idea how much I love this! My daughter has been wanting a princess that looks like her! Can’t wait to learn more about Princess Elena!

18. I really love that Disney has multi ethnic princesses. It’s a great message. Look forward to learning more about Elena.

19. Happy to learn about her. I love that the princesses are strong and good role models for the kids.

20. This truly makes me so happy. Since I don’t have girls I hope they have a handsome latino prince to Elena too. #Boymom! LOL

21. I thought Sophia the First was supposed to be Latina also?

22. Dori Alvarez says

My Daughter (and son) is so excited about this!!
    The dolls, costumes and toys are already at Disneystore!!
    So Fun!!

23. We’re super excited about Princess Elena of Avalor! We picked up the doll from the disney store this weekend.