Because Mom Needs a Day Off Too

For reasons unbeknownst to me, I still struggle with feeling OK when taking time for myself. Even in the midst of uninterrupted work (yes work, not play!) I have to push through irrational guilt and unjustified feelings of selfishness when I’m away from my children.  I’m well aware that it doesn’t make any sense.  And I know that all moms need a day off.  This one included.

Moms-Day-Off-Crocs-Women

So when a “mom’s day off” was recently requested of me in conjunction with Crocs‘ #MomsDayOff campaign, I hightailed it to the subway with my hair still wet and breakfast unfinished to meet a friend for spontaneous quality time together.  Eager to check out the Fischli Weiss exhibit at the Guggenheim before it closes next week; we arrived at opening to an uncrowded viewing.  There’s nothing like being with an incredible female friend when you’re on the verge of coming undone at the seams.  And inside the very museum that we frequent as a family, I realized how vastly different my perspective is when taking in art without my little ones.  The shape of the day was invigorating, refreshing, and incredibly fun. Hugs, art, and laughter are so very good for the soul!

Moms-Day-Off-Guggenheim

When I returned to my sweet little family, I knew that taking time for myself gave me a new lens to filter beauty from an otherwise cluttered and chaotic space.  Those scattered toys and abandoned art projects represented nothing more than a vibrant and happy life with kids.

crocs-contestmoms-day-off-Guggenheim-museum-NYCcity-skyline

Along with my recipes for self-care like fitting in those workouts, I know that days spent with steadfast friends are essential to my well-being. And here in the city, a metro-card, a few favorite accessories, and comfy shoes make for incredible last-minute adventures!

I used to think that Crocs were just for kids.  My love affair with them began the summer that my then three-year-old son insisted on wearing his sister’s outgrown pink unicorn Crocs. With glow-in-the-dark unicorn horns – who can blame him? It’s now such a deliciously adorable memory!

Crocs for women may not have rainbows and light-up features when you step (thank goodness!), but they do have super comfortable,  fun, and streamlined styles.  A far cry from my children’s clogs; I’ll be rocking mine all summer long, officially making us a Crocs-family.

womens-crocs

I do hope that you’ll join me in the important work of taking time off for yourself, and we’re thrilled that Crocs is determined to send other moms off for a break while outfitting even more in comfy footwear!

Check out the amazing #momsdayoffcontest on social media! Click the below Instagam image for more details to be in the running to win amazing goodies including a $50 Crocs gift card + $100 (10 winners!) to spend on your mom’s day off! That’s not all, 50 more winners will win $50 gift cards from Crocs. Sixty winners total equals a lot of happy moms! Just make sure that you’re following @Crocs on social media when you post an entry image. I’ve enjoyed seeing all of the #momsdayofcontest photos on Instagram letting us know all those mom’s day off hopes and dreams!

A photo posted by Monica (@marinobambinos) on

This post is sponsored by Crocs. Opinions, as always, are my own.

Comments

1. It’s so important to take time for yourself! As a mom of 4, taking time for myself and taking time with my husband is what helps keep me sane and makes me a better mom! I’m a huge fan of Crocs too! I have a bunch of pairs of A-Leigh wedges because I can walk in them all day long and still look professional! 🙂

2. I love Crocs! Those sandals are so cute, I need to check them out on the website, I would love them!

3. Birdiebee says:

What a beautiful museum and a great way to take the day for oneself. I believe that one must take time off for themselves as it is a way to relax and have some of your own time in order to stay sane as well as have healthy relationships with those around you.

4. I took a moment off this weekend, too. Impromptu wine and snacks night with the girls, which I hadn’t done in TWO YEARS. I really needed it!

5. Robin Rue (@massholemommy) says:

Absolutely, us moms DO need breaks. As guilty as it might make us feel, we need that time away to recharge and are better moms for it.

6. It’s so important to take time for ourselves as moms so we can recharge. Unfortunately, most of us don’t do it.

7. I think we moms fall into the trap of thinking that taking time for ourselves is somehow wrong. Like we have to be super women every minute of every day. It’s just not true, and it can burn you out in a flash.

8. I agree that moms need to take time for themselves to rest and recharge their batteries. Those new crocs are so pretty! I have lots of dresses I could wear these with.

9. Catherine S says:

We all need a little bit of me time. I love the sandals, I will have to try out a pair of Crocs.

10. Last Wednesday I started my treadmill run at 9:30….pm. After a long day, I needed to unwind and for me, exercise is relaxing. My other mom friends thought I was crazy but you know what, dishes and other responsibilities can wait. Taking time for myself is something I’m getting used to and I refuse to have guilt about it.

11. Wow I cannot believe those are crocs! I love the jelly look to them! Very chic! And I’m so glad you enjoyed your day off! We need it as parents!

12. Taking time for myself is so important and I have realized those small breaks truly make me a better mother. It looks as if Crocs has really stepped up their style game!

13. Those are super cute! Perfect for spring days off. I’m so glad I was able to get out by myself recently and unwind. There are too many opportunities like that.

14. Wow these Crocs are awesome. I love that style. They’re perfect for summer!

15. This is so great, Moms deserve a day off too for sure. I try my best to get my own time off to recoup best I can whenever I can!

16. I totally get that taking time off guilt. I think as a mom our lists are never done so it’s hard to take a break with everything done! It’s still important to do!

17. Valerie Grey says:

I find it very hard to take time to myself and enjoy it as well. I feel like the whole house will crumble and my kids will think I have abandoned them. Thank you for sharing your story.

18. Those pictures captured my attention. It all so clean and actually in perfect and lovely shot. I like these!

19. Moms definitely need a break sometimes. Dads too. This is a great contest. Thanks for sharing
    Your pics are amazing btw!

20. Crocs are not like they used to be.
    and Moms do need some time off!

21. What great shoes for a mom day off! I’m glad that you took some time to recharge your batteries!

22. Sarah Hayes says:

love the photos. and those sandals are amazing!

23. allyson tice says:

AMEN! WE ALL NEED TO TAKE TIME FOR OURSELVES MOMMY OR NOT. IT HELPS US TO RECHARGE AND REFOCUS! A DRIVE, A BUBBLE BATH OR A GOOD BOOK DO IT FOR ME!

24. Licia Miles says:

I love this article, so true!

25. Amber Ludwig says:

Me too!! I tend to feel guilty just wanting to spend time alone!! But its so good for the soul!

26. Emily Conway says:

Who takes these pictures? They are very good.
    Also, I am a mom of a 18 month old and am in desperate need of a break.

27. I feel guilty when I take a break too. Thank you for the reminder that it is ok.