It’s officially national sewing month! To celebrate, I’ve partnered with Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft stores to create a fun tutorial for their #sewyourstyle campaign. With a goal of utilizing quilting fabric in a non-traditional way – I made Fabric Feather Crowns for the dress-up-play-obsessed kiddos in my home.
The process is fun and easy!
- Small pieces of assorted fabrics. I went for monochrome, animal print, and pattern mixing themes.
- Felt (the thick kind, not the flimsy kind).
- Pellon 805 Wonder-Under
- Thick elastic
- Optional decorative items (jewels, leather strips, beads, buttons)
1) Draw feather patterns and pair your materials. The slits can be cut in the end and don’t need to be included in the pattern as seen above.
2) Place the wrong side of feather fabric to the bumpy side of Pellon 805 Wonder-Under and press for about 5 to 10 seconds.
3) Use your pattern to cut out your feathers after fusing to Wonder-Under.
4) Peel the paper off of the back of the Wonder-Under and fuse your feathers to a piece of felt. Use a pressing cloth and press well for about 10 seconds. Again – remember to use thick felt to give your feathers the ability to stick up. After pressing cut the felt around the feathers.
5) Measure your kiddos head with elastic.
7) Arrange the feathers and sew them onto the elastic making sure that he elastic seam is in the front to conceal the stitching.
8) Top stitch down the middle of each feather (and around if desired). A decorative stitch would also look nice.
9) If desired, stitch a small piece of felt to the front interior of the headband for a clean look ( I only did this to one crown and found it unnecessary).
10) Embellish the bottom of the headband however you like to conceal the stitching. I made layered yo-yos with glue-gunned rhinestones for my daughter’s crown. For a gender neutral look, I made a strip of bias tape for the penguin crown, and stitched a piece of felt to the monochrome diamond crown.
Join in the fun by creating something unexpected with quilt weight fabric and enter to win some amazing prizes in Jo-Ann’s Sew Your Style contest sponsored by Pellon. You have until September 30th to get your entries in for a chance to win a 1,000 cash prize, a Singer Heavy Duty Sewing Machine and more!
Visit joann.com/sewyourstyle for more info and join the conversation with #sewyourstyle.
Happy Sewing Friends!
Thank you Jo-Ann Fabric for sponsoring this fun post.